aroundeuro2

Friday, March 23, 2007

Job Searchin'

I am on the hunt.

Where can a college girl find paying work these days? Never mind one that's in her field of study. I just want a 9 to 5, ten dollar an hour employment, and please no field canvassing or nannying.

Is that too much to ask?

Goldpass dot com. This is the University website where employers seek young undergrads for work in specific markets. You post your resume, then search for jobs under categories like 'non-profits', 'horticulture', 'marketing'. Sounds easy enough. And it is, but here's the catch:

Most of the jobs are unpaid.

The cold hard cash part is absent. Zilch. Not happening. Black hole there.

"Come work for our company! You will learn super great job skills while working for a diverse company! We encourage you, young employee, to be a mobile global worker. Join our team! "

Category: unpaid internship. Blast.

So far I've applied to (count 'em) nine jobs in various fields, just cause they pay. I might be working for IBM Communications, or maybe I'll be an adviser for the College of Liberal Arts, or if I get really lucky, I'll be working for public radio. Who knows! This girl will take whatever she can get.

I just get the itching feeling that we student workers - who have years of job experience, not to mention schooling - are under appreciated.

Case in point: This morning, I had an interview for the Loft Literary Center. This is a place where writers can take classes, have conferences, bind books (seriously), and do their writer thing. I thought, hey, why not learn from the best?

So I email the internship director, send her my resume and show lots of enthusiasm. She sets up a meeting for this morning, 10am at the Loft. I come at my interview best and wait...and wait...and wait...

An hour later, she still hasn't shown up, so the receptionist tells me that we'll have to reschedule.

See what I mean?!

Ah well. That's life. And anyway, it's a beautiful day here! So I guess if jobs are my main complaint, I'm sitting very pretty.

Happy weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home