aroundeuro2

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

On why I must marry a scientist


This morning I interviewed a geneticist who is doing all sorts of smart work to end world hunger, make food more nutritionally valuable, and produce renewable energy by way of corn. What a man. I spoke with him because he won the Wolf Prize for turning millions of cells into millions of corn seeds. He tells me that genetically modified organisms are harmless safe and somehow,

I believe him.

Today is a day of firsts. This was my first ever phone interview and will be my first ever original story for the job. Later I will have my first ever in-person interview with another scientist where I will produce my first ever first person journalistic piece.

Whew…

This guy is a German-Californian entomologist (bug studier) who lets his grad students pick between writing a thesis or a children’s book. I am much more concerned with the children’s books. I like the concept of turning complicated science matters into something a regular Joe (or Jane, if you prefer) might understand.

And once they’re finished, I’ll post a link for you to read all about it!

In other news, I have an admitted sociopath for an Expo Writing teacher. I couldn’t believe it. The man actually claims to enjoy putting other people in pain. And what’s worse, he follows through!

Yesterday he told us he would – Finally, Two Weeks Late – hand back our papers. And he did. To half the class. So there I sit, a nervous wreck cause he’s already failed five people for minor grammar errs, without a paper.

He then proceeds to call on me to argue character details of our assigned readings. I have never been good at – nor enjoyed – speaking in class. Face burning palms sweating heart angry, I try to defend my position, only to be told my ideas are illogical. I walk out of class drained, defeated.

Only tomorrow and its promise of papers will tell if I will prevail with an A.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home