aroundeuro2

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Somehow this week

has slipped from beneath my feet. Already Wednesday; how time flies.


As I was saying, we went to a modern art museum called Flaming Something, which featured much conceptual un understandables and a fascinating interactive piece which looked like a ghost woman trying to get back to the living. A cold glass pane separated us and her, you could touch the pane and meet her hand. Description is futile. Modern art! I guess you just had to be there...

We wandered outside full of these artsy ideas and noticed crowds of people walking towards a glowing opera house. What could this be?
Classical music, of course! Just to see, we walked in. The hall was stunning and filled with Rich People wearing Rich People clothes and having Rich People conversations.
I say this because we stood out in our everyday dress. Just to see, we went to the ticket office. Tickets were reduced to only ten euro. We'll take two! Spent the rest of the evening enjoying a Beethoven piano concerto.


The next day was go day. As it happened, we ended up stuck in Slovakia for ten hours. But that is another (long) story for another day.


In a few hours, I'll be off to work at the National Literacy Trust. Last month, I tried to describe my duties, but the blog refused me. This topic deserves another go,

The Trust is a privately funded charity that seeks to increase literacy standards in England for all ages. It runs several initiatives that focus on at-risk subsets of society. Refugee mothers, prisoners and young boys, to name a few. I work with an initiative called "Reading The Game" under a man named Jim.

This project uses the motivational power of football(soccer) to encourage and inspire young boys to read. We set up literacy events, make connections between teams-schools-libraries, send reading promotion materials, arrange free books for disadvantaged kids, manage a website, all sorts of football-literacy things.

For an intern, my duties are actually sort of substantial. Some of my peers spend their days photocopying and making tea. Though I do make a mean cup of tea, I also write invoices, edit and update the website, phone people, do research for Jim and the others, compile spreadsheets, organize files and press clippings, and whatever else I am asked. Although I do not particularly enjoy staring at a database, I am proud to tout my new skills. They will be invaluable for future employments.

After all, how many former arts and crafts teachers can say they worked a block from Buckingham Palace?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home