aroundeuro2

Sunday, November 12, 2006

When in Wales


Last last weekend, just when I felt like I couldn't travel another step, I took another trip.


Destination? Wales

Wales is a country just west of England, and a hefty handful of us ventured there for a weekend of exciting outdoor adventure. My program sponsor CAPA planned the trip in conjunction with a company called Presili Venture.. Here's what they have to say for themselves,

"Preseli Venture is the perfect place to come and stay to satisfy your need for Fun, Adventure and good spiritual chemistry.

Surfing, Coasteering, Partying
Team building, Cliff Jumping, Kayaking.
You can Explore, Refresh, Detox, Invigorate, and Relax...

Your perfect outdoor adventure playground on the western edge of Europe, the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park."

Friend Allison and I took the train out together. We had by mistake arrived five minutes late to Paddington and were thus five hours late to Presili. But it was okay! When we dragged our weary bodes in, we were greeted by a welcoming man - and chattering friends - who took our bags, sat us down, fed us lasagna and cake. Very nice indeed.

The cabins were beautiful. Spacious rooms for sleep, warm ones with fireplaces and comfy chairs for socializing, a many windowed dining room.


On Saturday I did sea kayaking in the morning and costal hiking in the afternoon. Kayaking in the sea requires a different set of expectations/gear/precautions than in say a lake. Wetsuit, gloves, stretchy cloth to cover the top. And you're in the sea and it's swirling, crashing, swelling. We explored caves, learned about sea ecology, paddled on our own.

The afternoon hike was not what I would call leisurely. Invigorating in the best way, maybe. Up the rocky coast we went, past sheep, through forests. We ran into an obstacle when a herd of cows decided to block our path. We couldn’t go around them – sea on our left, herd on our right – couldn’t go through them – they were huge! – I guess we’ll just moo at them. And so we did. Making much noise till they understood and charged down our skinny path as we looked away, holding our breath.

That night we were welcomed by a home cooked curry meal, a bonfire, board games.

Next morning my activity was coasteering,
"Coasteering is a unique adventure sport where you experience the exhilaration of sea level traversing, rock climbing, cliff jumping and swimming into sea caves. It's a coastal exploration along the wild and beautiful Pembrokeshire coast.”
Incredible. I need not say more.

All in all, one of the best weekends yet.

Yesterday, we had a mandatory Minnesota student meeting. We assumed it would be some drawn out lecture on being a student overseas, how are you coping, do you miss your Mom and the USofA. Instead it was a lecture on Muslim women and the veil. This is a huge issue in Britain but especially in London, microcosm of the world.

I had no idea the politics of this cloth. The often choice women have [to wear or not]. Should a teacher teach wearing a head scarf? Is it oppression? What do the different ways of wearing it mean? What do the non extremists say?

Living with Alia, who has one family in Egypt and another in Minnesota has shown me a whole side of being Muslim. Of being a normal not oppressed in fact feminist person who happens to be born into Muslim background. So often the news flashes will only say, Muslim = men = bombs. Which is unfortunate for the many.

End rant. Sorry it was on my mind. Hope all is well and happy with you!

1 Comments:

  • Kristi,

    Sorry I haven't left any messages before now. I have enjoyed reading your updates but just haven't taken the time to add my notes.

    What an awesome experience! I have been telling my students about my talented niece who is traveling the world. My favorite blog entry was of course "The play's the thing." I even printed the entry and shared it with my students. Here is a crazy coincidence...the very day you posted that entry, we were studying the same scene from "Hamlet" in my Drama class. My seniors just finished reading "Macbeth" on Friday--or should I say, "that Scottish play!"

    Keep writing so we can share in your journey.

    Love,
    Lorna

    By Blogger Lorna, at 3:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home